INGREDIENTS 1.5 kg eggplants
Plain (all purpose) flour
330 ml olive oil
500 ml tomato puree
10 cloves of crushed garlic
Bomb sauce twist
1 tablespoon of Himalayan spice XTRA hot sauce.
2 tablespoons roughly torn basil
1.250 gm grated mozzarella cheese
100 gm grated Parmesan cheese
1) Thinly slice the eggplant length ways. Layer the slices in a large colander (sieve). Sprinkle salt between each layer and leave for an hour – this will extract all the bitter juice from the eggplant. Rinse and pat dry the slices from both sides. Now coat the eggplant slightly with flour.
2) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a 32 x 20 cm shallow casserole or baking tray.
3) Heat 125 ml of olive oil in a large frying pan. Quickly fry the eggplant in batches over moderately high heat until crisp and golden on both sides. Add more olive oil when needed, and drain well on paper towels as you remove each batch from the pan.
4) In another frying pan, add olive and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes and add the tomato puree along with HIMALAYAN SPICE XTRA HOT-BOMB SAUCE, some salt and pepper to taste. Until cooked.
5) Make a slightly overlapping layer of eggplant slices over the base of the dish, season with pepper. Spoon 4 tablespoons of the cooked puree and spread. Scatter a few pieces of basil on top. Sprinkle some mozzarella and Parmesan. Continue with this layering until you have used up all the ingredients.
6) Bake for 30 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes at least before serving!